truth sets you free, right?
If it hasn’t set you free, then maybe it wasn’t the truth.
Could the truth set you free? If you were free, would you argue, would you defend, would you desperately seek other people’s approval or agreement, then be disappointed if they did not accept the alleged truth of salvation that you offer?
That is called disillusionment, as in the ending of an illusion. Also, that illusion was just a vain belief in salvation (see Mark 7:7), not the truth of freedom or the freedom of truth. Could the truth set you free from mere vain beliefs?
If the truth had set you free already, would you try to convince others that they should be free, too, like by punishing them or abandoning them or killing them or threatening to torture them eternally in hell for neglecting to worship your alleged truth? Or, would you be free from worry and blame and frustration and antagonism and animosity and desperation? That’s right: would you actually be free?
If the truth set you free, would you invest attention in studying it for hours or months or years? Would that be an expression of freedom or of desperate obsession, like as in agonizing?
So what is the answer to “the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything?” The ultimate
You may be thinking to yourself: “so what? That’s entirely meaningless!” Yes, that is correct. In fact, that’s the point.
The ultimate truth is not a concept, though any concept may be valid… as in useful or functional in a particular context. Truth is not a belief, for a belief is just a formation in language, a linguistic construction, a creation of humanity.
Truth is the direct experience of freedom itself. Truth may not even exactly “set you free.” Truth simply reveals the illusion that you were ever what you you may have thought you were. You never really were whatever you may have mistaken yourself to be.
It’s like waking up from a dream and realizing that the dream was always just a dream. Whatever you thought you were was just a concept, just a formation in language, just a vain belief- vain if you mistake it for truth and worship it.
According to the ancient scripture called the Gospel of Mark (12:28-29), a fellow named Jesus was asked the following question by an orthodox religious leaders of that time: ““Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
If someone realizes the truth of that single passage, their experience of freedom could be complete. All the lesser commandments might automatically and effortlessly be practiced, if one just knew directly the truth of that which Jesus called the greatest commandment. Let’s notice how the questioner responded to Jesus.
The man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him….” (Mark 12:32) Is this implying that the holy one is the only one? That would fit well with the meaning of the word holy as in whole or complete.
When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” (Mark 12:34) By “not far,” did Jesus mean that the other man was approaching the truth of freedom, developing in that quality of clarity?
So, how could the kingdom or realm of God be “within” someone, as Jesus says in Luke 17:21? Could that realm of God be a realm of a certain quality of experience? Note also that Jesus uses the phrase “Ye are Gods,” in John 10:34, in which he is quoting the ancient Hebrew scriptures of Isaiah (41:23, as well as Psalm 82:6). What could Jesus and Isaiah have meant by “Ye are Gods?”
Notice the qualities of God as detailed in ancient scriptures, including the Hebrew and Christian traditions: “I did not come to judge the world, but to bless it as my creation, to keep it just how it is, that is, to save it- like without reforming any of it at all. So, if you perceive sin out there, remove the blockage from your own eye. Condemn not. If you say a harsh word against another of cursing or even just harbor a thought of condemnation, then it is for you to repent and to practice forgiveness. Bless those that you find troubling. Love even those who call you their enemy, who may accuse you and persecute you. Seek first the kingdom of heavenly peace within you, the realm of God.”
“Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it.” Psalms 34:14
Maybe you are familiar with the following as well: “Thou shalt make no idols to worship instead of me with your attention. By the way, if you focus obsessively on one of God’s creations- on anything- as not fitting your beliefs of how it should be or should not be, perhaps condemning it and labeling it as evil, like you know better than God, well, then that would be worshiping your own version of evil instead of worshiping me.”
“Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” Romans 12:21
How many people claim to protect good from evil, to protect the light from darkness? They may wish to remove the darkness. They may wish to study darkness and find all the darkness in the world and convert that darkness into light. They want to expose all the evil and reform it, promoting attention to the details of corruption and iniquity. They may want to find all the darkness and make it into light.
Consider that if I do that, then I must have no light within me, for if I did have light within me, then I could never perceive darkness. I would be like a lamp or a star radiating brightness over all that I could perceive.
Let those who have the ears to hear and the eyes to see be witness to the following translations of the teaching of Jesus in Luke 11:35: “Make sure that the light you think you have is not actually darkness” and “Consider therefore whether the light that is in you is anything but mere darkness.”
In other words, when your vision is pure, then what you perceive is purity, while when your vision is defective or corrupt, what you perceive is corruption or error. Is this principle consistently repeated in scripture after scripture, tradition after tradition?
Do not worship evil, nor fear, nor vain hopes of desperation. Worship the truth of freedom. Be as innocent as a humble child, entering the realm of God in peaceful stillness. Be a light unto yourself and your world.
Blessed is the one who knows the word of God as that one’s own. Blessed is the one who knows all expressions as the expressions of that one.
Know yourself as the vine from which all branches of perception arise as expressions of you.
- Characteristics of Worldly Doctrines (livingfountain.wordpress.com)
- The Error of the Wicked (truthinscripture.com)
- Galatians 2:22 (gracegalatians.wordpress.com)
- Defending Christ’s Existence (siriusknotts.wordpress.com)
- How Important Is Belief In God For Christians? (mikefriesen05.wordpress.com)
- What is Worship? (anotherchristianblog.org)
- Roman Catholicism Compared To Biblical Christianity (pilgrimpassing.wordpress.com)
- Seven Truths about Gospel Praise (justificationbygrace.com)
- Una Sancta: Fundamentalism, Ecumenism and the One True Church (roadsfromemmaus.org)
- Study (johnreads.wordpress.com)
- And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- 5 Reasons We Need to Rebrand Evangelism – Part 4 (richwendling.wordpress.com)
- Baptism part three (ptl2010.com)
- Defend God and His Goodness At All Costs (foodforthespiritualsoul.wordpress.com)
- We All Want to Be Free (lindalouclifton.com)
- I want to be free! (notmanywise.wordpress.com)
- Jesus Bought You to Set You Free (airocross.com)
- Jesus’ Truth Sets You Free (bibleopia.wordpress.com)
- philosophy and christian faith (johngreenview.wordpress.com)
- Day Twenty eight; Jesus, Mary & Beautiful Iconography (shitsugane.wordpress.com)
- One (chapterseventeen.com)
- Truth and the Freedom to Speak It (laurenleigh111.wordpress.com)
- The Freedom Illusion (the1stfollower.com)
- Truth vs. Lies (thoughtsfromdeepwater.wordpress.com)
- Incarnation: God Sent His Son, to Save Us (kevinnunez.org)
- Lectionary sermon for 13 May 2012 Easter 6 Year b (and Mothers day) on John 15:9-17 (billpeddie.wordpress.com)
- Is God Real? (scrappysam.com)
- A “Book Review”: ‘The Third Jesus’ (by Deepak Chopra) – Part Four (sharefaith.wordpress.com)
- To Followers of Christianity & Catholicism (pathwaytoascension.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Class Notes: April 22 (lifereference.wordpress.com)
- When the truth has come. (jewelindapalace.wordpress.com)
- Jesus has promised… (jewelindapalace.wordpress.com)
- “When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth” (worryisuseless.wordpress.com)
- Depression and God’s Word (mygodmydepression.wordpress.com)
- Why Read the Bible? – Day 2 of 32 – God and Engaging the Bible: Part 2 (christlikeministriesnwa.wordpress.com)
- The John 8 Breakdown (gospelier.wordpress.com)
- Jesus and His Deity (inhisservicetilhecomes.com)
- presence (barefoothope.wordpress.com)
- Wednesday (May 16): “When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth” (shechina.wordpress.com)
- I love my church! (alookintomymind.wordpress.com)
- I Miss Douglas Adams (wired.com)
- Douglas Adams’s 60th birthday marked with liff, the universe and Pink Floyd (guardian.co.uk)
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Creators Who Became Their Own Genres (io9.com)
- Inspirational Quotes About System Design (java.dzone.com)
- Terry Jones remembers Douglas Adams (bbc.co.uk)
- Secret gold swap has spooked the market (telegraph.co.uk)
- 10 Best April Concerts For Hipsters & Southern Rockers Alike in New England (bostinno.com)
- James Cameron And Getting Trapped Inside Your Most Successful Creation (wnyc.org)
- A Course In Miracles Teacher Demonstrates The Art Of True Prayer (prweb.com)
- Spiritual Seekers Discover the Truth About Reincarnation As Revealed By Jesus Christ In A Course In Miracles (prweb.com)
- The truth heals (toughmindedoptimism.wordpress.com)
- What to do about demonic influences (adifferenceforyourlovedones.wordpress.com)
- A Course In Miracles Teacher Reveals The Means of Enlightenment (prweb.com)
- The Truth About Lies! (pilgrimpassing.com)
- The Truth About Lies! (ioan17.wordpress.com)
- Faith speaks in this way (Rom 10:6) (achristian.wordpress.com)
- Course In Miracles Teacher Reveals Why The Truth Must Set You Free (prweb.com)
- A to Z Challenge: T is for Truth (overcomingloneliness.com)
- 1 Tim 4 I AM the God of Truth. My truth dispells Satan’s alternatives. (whoareyoulord.wordpress.com)
- Truth (scottsholar.com)
- Wednesday (May 23): “Holy Father, keep them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one just as we are one.” (shechina.wordpress.com)
- “Sanctified and consecrated in God’s truth” (worryisuseless.wordpress.com)
- Romans (tylersheart.wordpress.com)
- Truth and Freedom (trophydaughter.wordpress.com)
- Is the Bible the Basis for Truth (brucegerencser.net)